How to Renew a PR card in Toronto

The Canadian permanent resident card, a very important form of government i.d. for permanent residents, must be renewed every five years. There will be an expiry date on the card that indicates when it will expire, and you should apply to renew your PR card at least three months before this date. 

How to renew your PR card in the city of Toronto, Canada

In order to renew your PR card in Toronto, you will need to obtain and fill out an application for a PR card. Ensure that you complete it to the best of your ability and that you read and understand all of the instructions on the application form.

When you renew a permanent resident card you will also need to view the official Document Checklist, which will lay out all of the necessary documentation that you must include in your application package. If you miss anything, your application will be returned to you.

You must pay the fee to process your application and also include the receipt for this fee with everything else in your application package.

Once your application for renewing your permanent resident card is approved, you will receive a notice from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Please note that in some cases, your new permanent resident card may actually be mailed to you, as the government is currently testing out a mail pilot program. If it’s your first permanent resident card, that will be mailed to you.

The letter you receive from Citizenship and Immigration Canada notifying you that your permanent resident card is ready to be picked u pill tell you whether you must pick up your card or not, and which office to pick it up at. You will also have to call ahead and make an appointment.

In Toronto you will be directed to pick up your permanent resident card at the main Toronto office, which is found here:

55 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 200
Toronto, ON
M4T 1L8

For assistance of any kind with your permanent resident card renewal application, please contact our immigration law firm. We can help you avoid making mistakes as well as assist you if you have not met the residency requirement or your card expired while you were outside of Canada.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.

Related posts: